Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 6 - yoga is my strategy

Hello - it's late, and we also lose an hour tonight. It's all for a good cause though - we're setting our clocks forward for daylight savings time again. Daylight savings means longer days and spring is officially knocking at our door. Smiles and Yays!

Last night I took and evening Bikram yoga class, and I was up at the crack of dawn and off to Day 6 of consecutive Bikram yoga classes. Besides the fact that it felt like I never left when I arrived this morning, I also had the very satisfying sensation of feeling stronger. Yes, you heard it: stronger! Maybe it's in my head (which is fine! Mind over matter, I say!!) or maybe I'm getting used to the heat and the exercises and postures, or maybe I really am getting stronger...

My seventh day will be tomorrow - I will have done a week of Bikram yoga. I feel very proud, especially since all the hormonal issues happening these last months of my life have rendered me plagued with headaches and unable to focus. It was the weirdest thing: I thought I was having some form of adult ADHD. I could not focus, concentrate, for a moment. All the studying I was trying to get done seemed like a gargantuan task, a paper took forever, reading a page could take a day. My brain just couldn't focus.

Very unnerving, as I've never had any trouble with my focus or concentration before. I've taken courses the last few years, and it's been fine. 

Once I realized that I am experiencing lowering levels of estrogen and am perimenopausal, I could deal with my symptoms and devise a strategy for coping. This is why I am immersing myself like this in a new system of practice for a period of time, yoga is my strategy. I feel so much better than a week ago!!
I will write again soon. Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment