Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 1 - looking for the core

Hellooo - Help yourself to some coconut water and find a space on my picnic blanket. I'm gonna stay away from the wine today. 

I started my Yoga Challenge TODAY despite going to bed with a headache last night, and waking up with the same headache this morning that didn't want to go away with a painkiller. I overcame my period, and the drudgery of getting started. I got my body to the yoga studio and took my very first Bikram Yoga class. I wrote yesterday that I needed a new challenge in my life, or my life needed a new challenge in me. Today I took the first step.

I walked away feeling so good after the 90 minutes of hot, hot yoga. My body was shaky from not having moved this way in a long time, and I felt light, limber and flexible. But one thing that I noticed is that I have lost my core strength since my early days as a modern dancer. Back then I had a sense of having a very strong core and mid-section, strong point of center of gravity in my body. It has since weakened through not paying enough attention to it when I dance hula and do my occasional exercises and go about my daily activities. It's not part of my daily existence anymore. I seek to find my core again during this challenge.


By intentionally strengthening my core muscles in the center of my body, I believe I will regain and strengthen the resolve of my spiritual and emotional core, my center, my soul. I believe that the fragment of the all-knowing, almighty Creator that lives in, and illuminates, everyone of us will come alive once more in me.


Check in again, as I will continue to write updates on my 30 Day Yoga Challenge, and further go into the reasons I think we need to challenge ourselves from time to time. 
Namaste.



No comments:

Post a Comment