Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Great Colonic

Hello my friends ~ it's nice to see you again so soon. I am making a greater effort to write more this year - one of my new year's resolutions, along with eating multivitamins for a prolonged period of time to feel the accumulative effects, if any. Spread your blanket, turn on the bird chirps and the insect whirrs, turn down the wind machine to 'low' (it's a little too blustery when you can't hear each other, don't you think?), and pretend it's spring time. We're going to have a picnic on the living room floor today.

My "welcome speech" to 2012, which also served as a sort of "good-riddance speech" towards 2011, as I posted it on facebook on January 1, pretty much sums up my feelings on the new year. It reads a little something like this:
Hello 2012. So nice to finally meet you! I have heard a lot about you, and would love to know you a little more. Your predecessor, 2011, was kind of crappy. Many interesting things happened, and I am the wiser and richer for having gone through some of it, but by golly was it a slimy, yucky year! I have high hopes for you, 2012. No pressure. Thanks for showing up today (not a moment too early). Let's have a GREAT YEAR TOGETHER!!!
Let's analyze together, shall we. I did not write in an overly cynical or bitter tone, yet it still contains a good dose of dissatisfaction with the previous 12 months, as is evidenced by my use of the words "slimy" and "yucky". Actually, dissatisfaction would be an understatement. Perhaps disgust would better describe my feelings? Yes, I think so.  

One of my dear hula sisters reminded me of the joyous times we've shared as well, and made me consider all the goodness and joy that has come my way in the last year. Her remark about one of her own highlights of 2011 reminded me that I must be grateful for the magic in every day life, tiny moments that will brighten our heart for a split second if we let it. I was reminded that special moments will live in me until the day I die, and that as long as there is dance in my life, I am alive. I was reminded that I too had highlights... 

I really do have a great deal to be thankful for, and I have experienced a great deal of joy and goodness that I have been lucky enough to share with kids, friends, family and hula 'ohana. I am so grateful to my kumu and my hula 'ohana for providing me with a purpose this past year. I am grateful I had the opportunity to travel with my kids twice this summer, and experience Hawai'i, Sweden and Iceland together. We made memories together with family and friends that are irreplaceable and priceless.




But I can't help but being relieved at the end of this period of time I'd like to call "The Great Colonic" - the era where a heap of crap was purged out. I have borrowed this phrase from Dr. Christiane Northrup. That is what she called her past two years, so that is what I will call my last past three years. Pre-cancerous polyps have been vacuumed out, crap's been evacuated, shit's been force-flushed out the rear -- metaphorically speaking of course. Strictly speaking I was not in the Colonic phase for three whole years, but I was accumulating unnecessary baggage and was struggling to figure out what to do with it for three years. It's only now, at the year's shift, that I am able to activate the renewal and rejuvenation mechanisms that I know I have. 

I also cut a chunk of my long hair off. It is now shoulder length. Dead weight has been cut off, the unhealthy was sheared off; new, stronger hair is allowed to grow in. I feel freer and lighter. I really do.   

This year I am going to strive towards being a better, more conscientious person, more caring and more aware. I will think harder on how I can reduce my carbon footprint, and reduce my energy expenditure. I will consume less, lighten my load; and I will gradually be getting rid of more things. I really don't need to save clothes from 20 years ago... 

This year I will be Freer and Lighter and Stronger. This year I will be kick-@ss! 
Thank you for sharing the blanket with me, and listening to me basically saying that last year sucked and this year will be great, in a nutshell... kinda... sorta... I should have written just that from the start, and saved you the trouble of reading all the above paragraphs. ;-)
Please don't forget to bring some non-toxic paint for our background meadow scene, and some live ladybugs, next time. 
A bientot!


(Halau circle at LaMama June 2011, photo by Wayne Takenaka; Full moon at Kahala, O'ahu, July 2011; riding in Iceland, August 2011)  

No comments:

Post a Comment